These are a great healthy way to grab some protein and vegetables first up. With bacon, eggs, zucchini, carrot and tomato these handfuls can be eaten on the way to work but they have far less garbage in them than a fast food breakfast … and lots more nutrients! The recipe is a slight variation on a traditional zucchini slice and can be made as muffins or baked in a loaf tin to make a slice.
- 2 x zucchini
- 2 x carrots
- 4 x rashers of bacon
- 6 x large eggs
- 1 x cup grated cheese
- Roma cherry tomatoes (or regular mini tomatoes)
- Puff pastry (gluten free options available but not as puffy, or just use cupcake cases as the mixture will hold its own)
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 x tablespoons of SR flour (gluten free if required)
- Cut puff pastry into squares to cover a muffin tin (or use cupcake cases if you want to avoid the pastry)
- Grate zucchini and carrot, slice tomato
- Whisk eggs, add in all ingredients except the tomato
- Pour into muffin cases with puff pastry squares in them
- Add a couple of tomato slices to the top
- You can either leave the corners open or fold them in as pictured. Folding them in makes them slightly easier to eat on the run!
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown
- Serve straight away or cold the next day.