These can be made either with regular flours or with gluten free flours depending on your diet requirements. It is also a very simple and versatile base recipe for a savoury cookie or a flat cracker to serve with dip. I made the mix then divided it into 3 parts to test different shapes for cooking, with a special chilli flakes topper for the spice lover in the household!
- 125 grams butter (or 1/2 cup olive oil for dairy free)
- 150 grams grated cheddar or tasty cheese
- 50 grams grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup Self Raising Flour (or gluten free SR flour)
- 3/4 cup Plain Flour (or gluten free plain flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Optional: Chives, Chilli Flakes
- Put all ingredients together into a food processor with a mixing blade, sifting flours first.
- Keep processing on medium for 5 – 10 minutes until the mixture has turned into a ball and is binding together
- I took some of my mixture and rolled it into a sausage shape between some baking paper (roll it up and twist the ends like a lolly wrapper). I cut this up into 1cm slices and placed flat on a tray with baking paper lining.
- This batch was put in the medium oven for 25 minutes
- The rest I rolled into balls about 3cm across and pressed the tops with a fork, like nana used to do! I added chilli flakes to the top of some and pressed them lightly into the fork dents.
- This batch was baked for 30 minutes in a medium oven