Without a doubt my favourite soup, pea and ham is the perfect balance of all the best flavours and is packed with nutritional goodness. My guests are usually surprised to find out that Pea & Ham soup has almost every vegetable in it, well at least my version does, which means it works as a main meal.
- 1 large ham hock
- 500g bag of dried split peas
- 2 large carrots
- 1 x turnip
- 1 x swede
- 1 x potato
- 2 x celery sticks
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 x large onion
- 2 – 3 litres of water and a pot large enough to boil it in. Water should cover all ingredients in pot.
- 1 tin of cannellini beans
- Chop all vegetables and add to the large pot with all ingredients
- Simmer on a medium heat for 2 hours
- Remove the ham hock once the meat starts to separate from the bone.
- Allow to cool before removing all of the meat and breaking into small pieces as illustrated
- Your soup will look something like the below photo. Using a stick blender, blend the vegetables in the pot until they are smooth
- Stir through the ham meat
- Simmer a further 15 minutes to reheat, then serve
- In a bowl, garnished with a herb and a side of crunchy toast
- In a bread bowl
- For lunch, as a starter or main meal