There’s just so many things you can do with a sandwich press. And with bread. And pesto. Together, they are magic. I’m a huge fan of sweet french toast with banana or apple cooked into it, but my partner prefers savoury so I whipped this one up as a test.
Also. I’m not a huge fan of cleaning so I use the sandwich press often, with its delightful non-stick easy-clean surface.
Here’s my recipe for a gluten and dairy free savoury french toast with pesto, ham and avocado.
- 2 pieces of bread (I am using burgen gluten free white bread)
- 1 x egg
- 1/3 cup milk (I am using almond milk)
- 1 heaped tablespoon of pesto
- 50 grams fresh ham off the bone, roughly chopped or torn into small pieces
- Preheat sandwich press
- Whisk egg, milk and pesto until mixed
- Soak bread, 1 piece at a time, rotating until soaked
- Carefully place into sandwich press
- Top with remaining mixture
- Break pieces of freshly cut ham off the bone and place on the top
- Lower lid of sandwich press and cook for 3 – 5 minutes depending on the size of your bread
Serving & Substitute Suggestions
- With chilli salsa
- With avocado
- With smoked salmon instead of ham
- With smoked salmon, camembert cheese and fresh basil leaves
- With a scoop of hummus
- With guacamole