This is the classic pesto recipe with Basil and Pine Nuts, but cashews and almonds make a great substitute with a little extra oil.
- 2 cups Basil, tightly packed
- 1 cup pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Light = 5 cloves
- Mid = 10 cloves
- Extreme = 20+ cloves
How to make it
- Peel garlic, wash basil
- Put everything in the blender
- Blend, scrape, blend, scrape
Tips & Alternatives
- Add spinach or any green leafy vegetable to make your mixture go further.
- Pesto can quickly become a vegetable dip – add to the blender eggplant, mushrooms, chickpeas, olives or sun dried tomatoes for some variety.
- Peanuts or cashews will work in place of pine nuts, or to extend the pine nuts which can be quite expensive
- Keep it in a jar in the fridge and add a teaspoon to stir fry’s or spread some on toast for breakfast or a pre dinner snack