Drew loves chilli so I whipped up a healthy, preservative free dip for him to enjoy with crackers over the xmas period as an alternative to all of the cheesy, dairy based dips we’d been eating. This dip is so simple to make with practically no preparation time required. We picked some chilli’s from Mum’s garden, they’ve had so many that they are a little sick of them so Drew gets a handful every time we visit.
- Fresh chilli’s
- Garlic to taste
- 2 x onions
- Fresh basil
- 2 x tomatoes
- Peel garlic
- Place all ingredients in a roasting dish and coat with olive oil
- Bake for 30 minutes in a medium oven
- Remove stalks from chilli’s, they should pull away easily.
- Place all ingredients in blender and puree for about 2 minutes, or if you’d prefer a chunky dip just mash with a fork or blend for a few seconds.
- Keeps for a few weeks if in an airtight container in the fridge
- With crackers
- On a pizza base with a sprinkling of parmesan (or any) cheese, grilled for 20 minutes
- On meat, like a chutney
- With cream cheese, as a dip
- On nachos
- On toast, with beans, for breakfast