What a delectable and healthy salad, full of colour and goodness. It takes a little time to prepare all the vegetables but the effort is well worth it. When blanching the vegetables do each type seperately. Put on a pot of water and bring to the boil then add vegetables, bring back to the boil then take out with a large straining spoon and plunge immediately into iced water, this helps keep the beautiful green colours.
Keep the water to do the next batch, and continue until all are done, do broccoli last as the little flowerets can leave bits in the water.
Broccoli needs to be cut into small flowerets and a knife run down the stem, as this is the thickest part it takes longer to cook, splitting it means even cooking and no raw stem.
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup capsicum
- 1 cup kumara ( gold sweet potato)
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup baby eggplant
- Prepare green vegetables as above
- Peel carrots and slice thinly, par boil as for green vegetables
- Peel sweet potato and slice thinly
- Peel pumpkin and slice thinly
- Slice eggplant
- cut capsicum and deseed , trim off the thin layer of the white inside ( like taking the pith off a lemon), cut into long strips
- Use your BBQ if you have one and char grill carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin and capsicum till well cooked, cool
- Peel and slice onion thinly
- Drain olives, ( marinated olives are great in this dish)
- Toss all vegetables carefully in a large bowl after drizzling with olive oil, a little red wine wine vinegar or Raspberry vinegarette.
- Serve in a bowl or on a silver platter, garnish with basil leaves and orange segments