My naturopath introduced me to sprouted grain breads from Pure Life Bakery more than a decade ago when he also suggested I stop eating all the things I was currently eating and replace them with actual food. Imagine my surprise when sprouted wheat bread tasted nothing like Tip Top soft white! Eventually, the obvious results changed my attitude to what I put in my face but to avoid boredom I have had to be creative with how I get my daily intake of… everything. The obvious ways to serve these breads are toasted with avocado, or under a couple of poached eggs, but here’s a suggestion for making a delicious crumble from sprouted grain breads.
- 150 grams Pure Life Bakery sprouted surpreme bread for this recipe, but you can work with any quantity.
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut
- Optional crushed cashews
Which bread works best?
- The crumble can be made from any of the breads and is a good way of using up those slices which you cut a bit wonky. However the following make the best crumble for this recipe…
- Essence Surpreme with wheat and rye
- Ezekiel 4:9 with wheat, spelt, lentils, millet, barley and soybeans
- Khorasan or Rye
- See the video above for a demonstration
- Crumble bread onto a clean metal tray using your fingers
- Coat with sugar and coconut
- Grill for a few minutes at a time, raking with a fork to turn over the cooked pieces
- Repeat 2 or 3 times until it reaches the desired texture