Summer Seafood Salad
This recipe features all of my favourite summer things – mango, prawns, smoked salmon, avocado and cucumber. It’s a dish all on its own or it can be served on a large platter at a BBQ, with or without the seafood.
- 100 grams smoked salmon
- 10 cooked king prawns
- 1 small avocado
- 1/4 red onion
- 4 x boiled eggs
- 2 x mango cheeks
- 1 x sweet potato
- 1 x cucumber
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Whole egg mayonnaise
- Lemon juice
- Roast garlic and diced sweet potato for 30 minutes and allow to cool
- Boil eggs for 5 minutes and allow to cool before peeling
- Peel and clean prawns, including removing the poo-vein from the back!
- Slice cucumber, red onion and cut eggs into quarters
- Fan avocado by removing it from its shell using a large spoon, then cutting slices along the wedge without going all the way to the end. Lightly push the cut ends apart to form a fan.
- Cut the mango by slicing the cheeks off each side and drawing a criss-cross pattern on the sking with a knife. Turn it inside out so it looks like a porcupine then lightly run the knife along the skin to cut the mango off into cubes.
- Build the salad starting with cucumber, sweet potato, mango and onion. Place eggs around the edge of the plate, pointing to the centre of the plate.
- Add some prawns along the edge of the salad, place the avocado fan on top then add the remaining mango, a few pieces of sweet potato and some red onion.
- Roll smoked salmon and spread one end so it looks like a flower. Place a few of these beside the avocado.
- Drizzle some dressing on top of the avocado, crack some pepper on top and serve!
- Serves 2
I use a whole egg mayonnaise and just add a few squirts of lemon juice and a clove of crushed garlic. Spoon a generous amount on top of the salad.