I couldn’t fit all the words in the title, but perhaps the most important thing about this cake is that it’s Gluten Friendly. I say ‘friendly’ rather than ‘free’ because neither chocolate or Tia Maria are certified gluten free, however I am able to consume both without any ‘issues’.
Ingredients – Berry Topping
- Tia Maria
Method – Berry Topping
- Wash berries and place in a stainless steel bowl
- Cover with Tia Maria
- Refrigerate overnight, stirring whenever you can
Ingredients – Cake
- 200 grams chocolate (I use nestle chocolate buds)
- 50 grams butter
- 50 grams mascarpone cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 150 grams almond meal
- 100 grams gluten free self raising flour mix
- 60 ml tia maria
Method – Cake
- Melt chocolate and butter together over a water bath, whisk until blended
- Remove from heat and add Tia Maria and marscarpone, whisk until blended, allow to cool
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks, putting whites into a clean stainless steel bowl
- When the chocolate mixture is cool, add yolks and mix
- Then add all dry ingredients and mix
- Whisk (by hand or electric mixer) egg whites until soft peaks form – that is until the whites can hold their shape.
- Add sugar and whisk for a few more seconds until blended.
- Fold the egg whites through the chocolate mixture. Do this gently by rolling the edges into the middle until the whites have disappeared into the mixture.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celcius for 45 minutes (or slightly longer if you use a deep cake tin as opposed to the flat one used here)
- Place a skewer into the centre and if it comes out clean the cake is cooked.
- Allow to cool before icing.
- Optional: Poke some holes in the cake and pour Tia Maria over it to moisten even more
Ingredients – Icing
- 400 grams marscipone
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 400 grams icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered/instant coffee or make a thick paste from brewed coffee
Method – Icing
- Melt chocolate over a water bath
- Remove from heat, cool slightly, add marscipone
- Whisk until creamy and blended
- Add coffee
- Add icing sugar a small amount at a time until all blended
- Smother the cake with icing
- Once the icing had set, I poured the berries and tia maria mix over the cake, using the excess tia maria to serve on the side like a sauce
- Because that wasn’t enough decadence for Xmas, I also added some white and dark chocolate flakes over the top.